Followers

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Thank you for being a friend!

A friend



In the deep seas of my mind, I thought about, and reeled in the finest of treasures, ones, like most rare treasures, that lay there all along, waiting to be discovered; waiting for its worth to be weighed; waiting for me to bring them to the surface for all others to see their value...These rare, precious treasures are my true friends...


Dictonary.com defines friends as a person who gives assistance; patron; supporter. I define this people by name: When I call your name, please stand up and be recognized:

(In alphabetical order, certainly not in order of preference, for they are all preferred :)

Aisha Lastar Hollins

Christopher Lavon Jones, Jr

Frederick Ross, Jr

Kiana Nyree Welsh

Shelli Tinae Price

What a disgrace it would be if these treasures stayed buried, for the world not to witness their glory! Oh, what a gift they have been to me over the thirteen to twenty-seven years they have been in my life! Each one of them, created equally, but serving a slightly different purpose than the next…I truly cannot imagine how I would maintain my sanity in this crazy world without them!

God is constantly and faithfully great to me and I’m often reminded of His greatness and love for me when I look at my friends. Angels that have occupied earth to comfort and care for me, laugh with me and lend a shoulder to cry on. Friends who, when I’m my toughest critic, reflect the greatness in me. A mirror has never looked so clear…

I pray that in everyone’s lifetime, they are as privileged as me to encounter such seraphim, pieces of heaven on earth, which, along with God, lead you to the light at the end of the sometimes unclear, unpaved tunnel.

I can run on longer than Slauson Avenue in Los Angeles or El Cajon Boulevard in San Diego (two seemingly never ending streets in southern California, for those unfamiliar with the wonderful West Coast!) about the greatness of these people, and those attached to them: Parents, wives, fiancĂ©es, children, etc. I can talk until I’m blue in the face, purple in the lips and red in the cheeks about how much my life has benefited from their luminous presence…but I recede for now.

In closing, thank you, Furious Five, for being constant. Thank you, California’s finest, for opening your hearts to me and my family. In the best of times and the times when you’ve all felt like dismissing me as a friend (yes, you’ve had the thought at least once, ha-ha), yet stuck by me like irresponsible people to their excuses, or, more positively, like Jesus sticks by the truth, I thank you with these words. A small measure, yes, but a true measure indeed. Now that you all are reaching for your Kleenex, here’s to you, my dear friends:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmgL9l6VSjo
(cut and paste link to view)

Peace, love, and many thanks,


SahshaJay

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading your blog I went to the bible of course and read all the scripture concerning friend because we all want one but, most dont know how to be one. i have yet to find anyone who can be my armor bearer but, my sons and to be my friend you would have to be able to have my back. I dont at this time know anyone else who would lay down their life for me.
So, I most likely may have many aquaintenances and 2 friends my sons.
Examples of friendship....
General scriptures concerning (Deuteronomy 13:6-9; Job 6:14,15;16:2,20;19:13-22; Psalms 35:)
INSTANCES OF » Abraham and Lot (Genesis 14:14-16)
INSTANCES OF » Ruth and Naomi (Ruth 1:16,17)
INSTANCES OF » Samuel and Saul (1 Samuel 15:35;16:1)
INSTANCES OF » David and Jonathan (1 Samuel 18:1-4;;23:16-18; 2 Samuel 1:17-27;9:1-13)
INSTANCES OF » David and Abiathar (1 Samuel 22:23)
INSTANCES OF » David and Nahash (2 Samuel 10:2)
INSTANCES OF » David and Hiram (1 Kings 5:1)
INSTANCES OF » David and Hushai (2 Samuel 15:32-37;;17:1-22)
INSTANCES OF » David and Ittai (2 Samuel 15:19-21)
INSTANCES OF » Joram and Ahaziah (2 Kings 8:28,29;9:16)
INSTANCES OF » Job and his three "friends," (Job 2:11-13)
INSTANCES OF » Daniel and his three companions (Daniel 2:49)
INSTANCES OF » Mary, Martha, and Lazarus, with Jesus

Anonymous said...

It's way too early for me to start crying man! You really did it with the Golden Girls anthem. Start patting yourself on the back now.YOU my dear, have been my greatest friend for many many years. What I love the most about you, is your ability to link all of your friends together. YOU are the gardian angel that you mentioned. You have defintely been that for me. As far as the Furious Five, we ARE the Bomba aren't we? You have always reminded me of Joan (From the T.V. show Girlfriends) Not because of the HUGE eye balls, but for how dedicated you've been to each one of us. I'm sure we ALL felt like dismissing each other as friend at some point. The funny thing is, you're the one we vent to about it! You gotta give yourself credit for the wonderful job you've done as a friend youself. Now, here's to YOU.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhcTEvG9FUs

Shelli Tinae said...

I am so thankful to have you as a friend, as a sister. I know God brings certain people into our lives; some for a SEASON and some for a LIFETIME. I give thanks to you for being a LIFELONG friend and lifelong friends are family members. We are kin folk for real. LOL

I'm at a point in my life where I'm questioning the validity of some of my so-called friendships but when I examine our relationship which is nonjudgmental, unconditional, caring, grounded, open, honest, trusting, committed...I know that the bar has been set high and that I must uphold all my friends to such standards.

My Aunt once told me that you should never tell women details about your man because women are very visual and will want your man. I remember feeling very sorry for her and her "friends" that day because they didn't have a "SAHSHA". They didn't have ONE person they could share ANYTHING with honestly and whole heartedly.

You, my dear, I unconditionally love and share with you my hopes, dreams and those nasty skeletons. LOL

I love you for life.
Your sister,

Shells

*lastar* said...

No...thank you for being a friend! Sahsha...my dear friend!!! I have always been so thankful for the blessing of having biological sisters. I have a very special bond and relationship with my sisters that cannot be expressed with words, and to be quite frank, I don't think I would be able to get through this life without them. But I have equal gratitude for the few friendships that I have with women that I can also refer to as my sisters.

Sahsha, as you know you are truly one of my best friends as well as a sister. We have continually grown and shared a lot in this journey of life.
Our lives have paralleled literally throughout the duration of our friendship in ways the two of us only know. I could not have chosen a better friend to experience ALL that we've gone through. I cherish and hold true to my heart all that we've shared and will continue to share!

I believe in quality not quantity, which is why I don't have many friends. I value the actions of friendship and thus, I am very selective about who is choose to share a friendship with. In looking at who you are as a woman, daughter, auntie/mother, friend, it's no wonder that you have such good friends! You have been surrounded by good friends because you are one! And although I don't like to share...I guess I have to...LOL!!!

Love You!!!
Aisha La*

*lastar* said...

No...thank you for being a friend! Sahsha...my dear friend!!! I have always been so thankful for the blessing of having biological sisters. I have a very special bond and relationship with my sisters that cannot be expressed with words, and to be quite frank, I don't think I would be able to get through this life without them. But I have equal gratitude for the few friendships that I have with women that I can also refer to as my sisters.

Sahsha, as you know you are truly one of my best friends as well as a sister. We have continually grown and shared a lot in this journey of life.
Our lives have paralleled literally throughout the duration of our friendship in ways the two of us only know. I could not have chosen a better friend to experience ALL that we've gone through. I cherish and hold true to my heart all that we've shared and will continue to share!

I believe in quality not quantity, which is why I don't have many friends. I value the actions of friendship and thus, I am very selective about who is choose to share a friendship with. In looking at who you are as a woman, daughter, auntie/mother, friend, it's no wonder that you have such good friends! You have been surrounded by good friends because you are one! And although I don't like to share...I guess I have to...LOL!!!

Love You!!!
Aisha La*

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to drop a quick note to you in response to your blog. I'm so
proud of you and Shelli. You two are maturing into two beautiful young
ladies. It's very important to acknowledge important people in your life.
If you can hang on to those that are close to you, do so. Life is so short
and many times, our closest friends are more close than family. Cherish the
times because God has placed each one of them in your life for a reason. I
love you and applaud your growth as a woman(:

Love,

Shawn

Anonymous said...

Sahsha, darling, yet another poignant piece; another message that is right in front of us, and still we fail to recognize it. So many of us identify ourselves as christian, without fully understanding the title: to be christ-like. So, it begs the question,'what's in a name?' Some people who go to church everyday have no conception of what it is they say they believe in, and as a result are some of the biggest mis-representers of the faith, and also practical atheist.

Isnt life grand when your layin in the sand!!

Isnt life grand when your layin in the sand!!