Followers

Saturday, April 26, 2008

ESCAPISM

Its often a perfect saturday night when i'm just sitting at home. The little guys are sleep, and i am left awake, with a little bit of idle time. Typically, i'd fall asleep with intentions of reading the bible, writing a poem, or delving into the deeper realms of self, in search of self. But not this evening. I'm awake(praise God)and in the mood to escape.

Not so long ago, my mode of escape would be to go out. it's an especially nice, warm, tropical evening in the city of new beginnings. What a perfect evening to be out...circumstances, both physically and spiritual have allowed me to seek refuge in a place of stillness. a place call home. destination me. Surprisingly, i like it. i really like it.

As i write the memo of early sunday morning, i have Bill Withers playing in the background. I am a true music lover and he is one of my favorites. He asked me if "we can pretend" that there is no yesterday. "Sure!", i replied. God makes no memory of our past mishaps, so why should I? "Paint a picture of tomorrow with no colors of today." For me, that means no grey skies. Just bright horizons. So I choose yellows, reds, and oranges...lively colors, arent they? Yes, my today is as bright as a comet awakening the nights sky. My present is that pinkish tone that comes as the sun sets into the infinite ocean. What an escape!

In such a bold color scheme, i have come to realize and accept that i am not so much the same girl i used to be. The art that is evolving on this canvas called life is a woman who is subtle and simple. Not so complex. Not needing much, but a slient night, fresh water to drink, and some good music.

I live in an escape that does not require looking back. I have broken loose from the chains of yesterday...YIPPEE! A life of more introspection than retrospection. Jubilation instead of contemplation. Spiritual intoxication over physical indulgence and alcoholic consumption. What an escape! Who would have known, who really cares?? All i do know is that i like where I am and I anticipate where I'm going to escape to next.

Thank you all for taking the time to listen to what some might call a rambling of thoughts. I pray at least one would see is as an open door to a personal escape.

Good night and happy travels,

SahshaJay

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless you Sahsha Campbell, bless you! bless you! bless you! I bless your soul from here to infinity, with every fiber of my being! Your words have penetrated this heart, and silenced the thoughts that plague me so. "The art that is evolving on this canvas called life", "I live in an escape that does not require looking back", "jubilation instead of contemplation". What a perfect choice of words, I mean really. I once heard an artist put it this way, when asked to explain how he does what he does,"you have to learn to stay out of your own way,". Well, I think, and it seems, that you are learning to do that just fine. I reckon I shall have to modify my answer now, when asked who are my favorite writers: John Milton, Kahlil Gibran, George Orwell, Tupac Shakur, and, last but not least, the incomparable Sahsha Campbell. A woman after my own heart.

Anonymous said...

I Love it, its beautiful, cuz!

Anonymous said...

Great blog Sahsha!

So many of us are so restless and dissatisfied with our lives that we often retreat to a place outside ourselves. We are all looking for that outer body experience, an escape from the thoughts that torment us. I am glad you are finding your inner peace. That is the only true safe haven.

Anonymous said...

The perfect read....when I'm sitting at home on a Saturday night :)

Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

you on your way. so let me say this now before you get to big for the litte people. I need my bills paid and 25-50k in one dollar bills. go get yours.
psalm 35:27 -Let the LORD be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.

Anonymous said...

mY BEAUTIFULLY iNTELLIGENT SISTER! hOW PROUD OF YOU i AM TO BE SO MATURE sPIRITUALLY AND iDEALISTICALLY.. i STRIVE TO LEARN HOW TO ESCAPE YESTERDAYS BAD CHOICES, LIKE YOU .IN A HEALTHY WAY... lITTLE SISTER YOU HAVE OUTGROWN ME BY CENTURIES AND i AM EVER SO PROUD OF YOU FOR ACCOMPLISHING WHAT SO MANY PEOPLE LIKE ME STRUGGLE TO KNOW AND UNDERSTAND!! gOD bLESS YOU fOREVER AND EVER :)

J. French said...

May the Lord bless you each and everyday...I'm so very happy to see you flourish. Keep shinning for you are the beacon of many many of us.

Isnt life grand when your layin in the sand!!

Isnt life grand when your layin in the sand!!